Runboard.com
You're welcome.

Burbs Banner






runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2  3 ... 6  7  8  9 

 
JoOngle Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Satanic Pâté

Registered: 05-2011
Posts: 464
Karma: 6 (+6/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


quote:

DavePeterson wrote:

We got done painting our !@#$ house and I just started packing and have already moved some of my stuff. Met the neighbours on both sides of my property line.

On one side we have old man Erik. He's this old dude in his 80's that spends a lot of his time in the garden. He might have the best garden on the block. Probably because he's got no dog to crap in his yard. I also often see him sitting in a lawn chair in the shade just watching the neighbourhood.

On the other side we have the Friis family. They seem normal and welcomy, and the wife is pretty hot,... no tanlines emoticon The husband has a huge grill in the backyard. Have to give it a closer inspection. Does the thermostat go to 5000 degrees?

I'm looking forward to moving and get settled in. A street with a cul-de-sac, this is going to be great.



No shortages of 80 year olds in our Cul-de-sac, next door we have the old widower that lost her husband 4 years ago (when I moved in the house next door...damn, he was such a friendly chap..we had a few beers on the porch together).

The 70 year ex schoolteacher across the yard is a bit suspicious about the newcomers in our street, she always want me to keep her updated about the latest buzzwords from the hood.

And then there's the streets very own "Ricky Butler" Fredrik - across the street, he's the youngest homeowner in the street, he overpaid for his house, the antenna is about to fall off the roof, he flags all the times, fraternize constantly with "our versions" of the Klopek, except our "Klopeks" are Swedish...WT..but Swedish. Our Klopeks have vans & cars that stop and come by their house all the time, their damn dog takes a dump on my lawn (I actually mailed him the dogs dodo) emoticon ...but then again...they're the only "rental" neighbors in our street, they literally litter their yard with crap all over the place, has worms & snakes & rabbits & a fighter-dog...and tattooed...you know the drill. Wonderful!

7/25/2014, 11:00 am Link to this post Send Email to JoOngle   Send PM to JoOngle Blog
 
RayPeterson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Burbsmaster

Registered: 06-2007
Location: Good ol' Germany
Posts: 4418
Karma: 29 (+29/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


I wonder, what is it typically like in your countries, do people rather own houses or do they rather rent? Germany for example is a country which traditionally has a high percentage of people who live for rent. I just checked some statistics pages and the percentage of renters in 2010 (last official data ascertainment) was 53% while the percentage of home owners was 44%.

---
Walter, I have your dog.
7/26/2014, 2:57 am Link to this post Send Email to RayPeterson   Send PM to RayPeterson
 
Kris Klopek Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Garbie

Registered: 04-2014
Location: Hinkley Hills
Posts: 360
Karma: 5 (+5/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


Apparently, here in the UK, 65% of people own their house. I didn't think it would be that high. Ten years ago it was over 70%! I assume everyone on Mayfield Place own their house? (Well, except the Klopeks, who apparently just took theirs.)

---
I've never seen that.
7/26/2014, 7:08 am Link to this post Send Email to Kris Klopek   Send PM to Kris Klopek Blog
 
JoOngle Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Satanic Pâté

Registered: 05-2011
Posts: 464
Karma: 6 (+6/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


In Sweden this is roughly 45 to 50%.

BUT, that said - not everyone OWNS their homes in reality, very few have the REAL numbers on REAL home owners, only the banks knows peoples little dirty secrets.

By dirty secret I am thinking of Bank Owned homes.

If you have a house and have borrowed more than 49% of your homes actual value today...then the BANK theoretically owns your home because you MUST pay a MORTGAGE.

And a MORTGAGE in my humble opinion is just a nice word for RENT. emoticon

(I don't rent - I own, ha! So there you have it neighbor, my home is actually entirely MINE mwhahahahahaha!) emoticon

When I was at work, I asked how many owned their own home, everyone yelled MEEEEEEE (them!), and then I asked each individual how MUCH THEY OWE THE BANK...

One of them had borrowed MORE MONEY than the HOUSE WAS WORTH! And he STILL believes (in his world) that he owns his own home.

Another one felt kind of cool for owning a multi-million mansion, turns out she owes most of the worth to the bank too, she excused herself by pointing out that she pays her "bills" like a good girl and don't really see this as an issue.

he he he...I feel kind of smug now, although I don't own a house worth millions, not even close to a million, it's MINE and ALL paid for. emoticon

7/26/2014, 12:16 pm Link to this post Send Email to JoOngle   Send PM to JoOngle Blog
 
Kris Klopek Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Garbie

Registered: 04-2014
Location: Hinkley Hills
Posts: 360
Karma: 5 (+5/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


quote:

JoOngle wrote:

In Sweden this is roughly 45 to 50%.

BUT, that said - not everyone OWNS their homes in reality, very few have the REAL numbers on REAL home owners, only the banks knows peoples little dirty secrets.

By dirty secret I am thinking of Bank Owned homes.

If you have a house and have borrowed more than 49% of your homes actual value today...then the BANK theoretically owns your home because you MUST pay a MORTGAGE.

And a MORTGAGE in my humble opinion is just a nice word for RENT. emoticon

(I don't rent - I own, ha! So there you have it neighbor, my home is actually entirely MINE mwhahahahahaha!) emoticon

When I was at work, I asked how many owned their own home, everyone yelled MEEEEEEE (them!), and then I asked each individual how MUCH THEY OWE THE BANK...

One of them had borrowed MORE MONEY than the HOUSE WAS WORTH! And he STILL believes (in his world) that he owns his own home.

Another one felt kind of cool for owning a multi-million mansion, turns out she owes most of the worth to the bank too, she excused herself by pointing out that she pays her "bills" like a good girl and don't really see this as an issue.

he he he...I feel kind of smug now, although I don't own a house worth millions, not even close to a million, it's MINE and ALL paid for. emoticon




I understand what you mean about not owning your house if you have a mortgage. But I still consider anyone who is making their mortgage payments to be a homeowner. They are certainly in a different category to someone who rents, because when you rent you'll never have anything for your money long term. While the owner will one day have a very large asset.

Having said all that, I don't like the whole concept of a 25 year mortage either. They always scared me to death. That's probably why I rented my entire life, and only now at the age of 35 am I about to own my own home because I can buy the house without a mortage.

---
I've never seen that.
7/26/2014, 2:08 pm Link to this post Send Email to Kris Klopek   Send PM to Kris Klopek Blog
 
RayPeterson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Burbsmaster

Registered: 06-2007
Location: Good ol' Germany
Posts: 4418
Karma: 29 (+29/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


quote:

Kris Klopek wrote:

quote:

JoOngle wrote:

In Sweden this is roughly 45 to 50%.

BUT, that said - not everyone OWNS their homes in reality, very few have the REAL numbers on REAL home owners, only the banks knows peoples little dirty secrets.

By dirty secret I am thinking of Bank Owned homes.

If you have a house and have borrowed more than 49% of your homes actual value today...then the BANK theoretically owns your home because you MUST pay a MORTGAGE.

And a MORTGAGE in my humble opinion is just a nice word for RENT. emoticon

(I don't rent - I own, ha! So there you have it neighbor, my home is actually entirely MINE mwhahahahahaha!) emoticon

When I was at work, I asked how many owned their own home, everyone yelled MEEEEEEE (them!), and then I asked each individual how MUCH THEY OWE THE BANK...

One of them had borrowed MORE MONEY than the HOUSE WAS WORTH! And he STILL believes (in his world) that he owns his own home.

Another one felt kind of cool for owning a multi-million mansion, turns out she owes most of the worth to the bank too, she excused herself by pointing out that she pays her "bills" like a good girl and don't really see this as an issue.

he he he...I feel kind of smug now, although I don't own a house worth millions, not even close to a million, it's MINE and ALL paid for. emoticon




I understand what you mean about not owning your house if you have a mortgage. But I still consider anyone who is making their mortgage payments to be a homeowner. They are certainly in a different category to someone who rents, because when you rent you'll never have anything for your money long term. While the owner will one day have a very large asset.

Having said all that, I don't like the whole concept of a 25 year mortage either. They always scared me to death. That's probably why I rented my entire life, and only now at the age of 35 am I about to own my own home because I can buy the house without a mortage.



I'd rather say those who pay mortgages are future homeowners. If we look back at the financial crisis erupting in 2008 and still raging today (just a little more underneath the surface) this is where it all came from. And many of those people who couldn't pay their mortgages anymore lost their homes. Because in actuality they have never been real homeowners.

I also live for rent because I don't like the concept of a 25 year mortgage. However, I might be paying my rent for more than 25 years so it's a quite paradox situation. But to be honest, I like the concept of renting. It makes me more flexible. If I had to take a job far away I'd have to rent it to somebody else and so on. And once you really completely own it doesn't mean the expenses stop. You might not be paying mortgage anymore but a house still costs you money. Many elder people underestimate this. They are buying a home so they can live rent-free once they retire. However, the costs of the house may still reduce a huge portion of your penison.

---
Walter, I have your dog.
7/27/2014, 3:15 am Link to this post Send Email to RayPeterson   Send PM to RayPeterson
 
JoOngle Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Satanic Pâté

Registered: 05-2011
Posts: 464
Karma: 6 (+6/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


Certainly,

but it's (for me) a too huge risk to take, that's why I chose to live in the Suburbs near the countryside simply because I could afford to purchase a house outright.

If I chose to live in the suburbs near a BIG city, then It'd cost me 25-30 years of mortgages and savings + my entire existing house JUST as a DOWNPAYMENT for the first payment, and to think it's only ONE HOUR DRIVE away! (or by train anyway).

The difference is MILLIONS here in Sweden, one hour drive...and you'll pay for the rest of your life, one hour away, and you'll live scot-free as long as you want without any mortgages (guess who enjoys every dime then?! emoticon )

People are crazy, they'll get married, feel secure that they'll stick with their loved one for the rest of their life, and keep their job for the rest of their life. The wife tells them to purchase a home near by the big city, because they want to PARTY and have rich neighbors (which they never admit is rich...it's just normal to them)...but the truth is...can you afford a multi-million home, then you're rich - period. Or if you take up a LOAN for it...then...well...you're naive IMHO.

No one that I knew of ever kept their house for more than 5 years in those expensive area, basically because today...no one manage to keep their jobs for life...nevermind keeping their wife happy for 30 years...won't happen!

Me? I've lived in my house for 4 years straight now, jobless at the moment...haven't had a decent job for nearly 2 years, but I had saved up money + took some subsitute teaching jobs on the side here and there...

...plus I get NO DOLE money or ANY money from the Government for being unemployed, I probably could...but I chose to live independently from the entire system. It's kind of cool actually, not being dependent on others.

If I purchased a home near the big city (which would require a loan and hefty downpayments and a steady job), I'd be broke today, and homeless. I just made a choice that was smarter for me.

And because of it, I'm completely free...regardless of jobs and peoples opinions...none of which affects me emoticon that my fellow suburbian friends - is TRUE freedom.

7/27/2014, 4:29 pm Link to this post Send Email to JoOngle   Send PM to JoOngle Blog
 
RayPeterson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Burbsmaster

Registered: 06-2007
Location: Good ol' Germany
Posts: 4418
Karma: 29 (+29/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


quote:

JoOngle wrote:

Certainly,

but it's (for me) a too huge risk to take, that's why I chose to live in the Suburbs near the countryside simply because I could afford to purchase a house outright.

If I chose to live in the suburbs near a BIG city, then It'd cost me 25-30 years of mortgages and savings + my entire existing house JUST as a DOWNPAYMENT for the first payment, and to think it's only ONE HOUR DRIVE away! (or by train anyway).

The difference is MILLIONS here in Sweden, one hour drive...and you'll pay for the rest of your life, one hour away, and you'll live scot-free as long as you want without any mortgages (guess who enjoys every dime then?! emoticon )

People are crazy, they'll get married, feel secure that they'll stick with their loved one for the rest of their life, and keep their job for the rest of their life. The wife tells them to purchase a home near by the big city, because they want to PARTY and have rich neighbors (which they never admit is rich...it's just normal to them)...but the truth is...can you afford a multi-million home, then you're rich - period. Or if you take up a LOAN for it...then...well...you're naive IMHO.

No one that I knew of ever kept their house for more than 5 years in those expensive area, basically because today...no one manage to keep their jobs for life...nevermind keeping their wife happy for 30 years...won't happen!

Me? I've lived in my house for 4 years straight now, jobless at the moment...haven't had a decent job for nearly 2 years, but I had saved up money + took some subsitute teaching jobs on the side here and there...

...plus I get NO DOLE money or ANY money from the Government for being unemployed, I probably could...but I chose to live independently from the entire system. It's kind of cool actually, not being dependent on others.

If I purchased a home near the big city (which would require a loan and hefty downpayments and a steady job), I'd be broke today, and homeless. I just made a choice that was smarter for me.

And because of it, I'm completely free...regardless of jobs and peoples opinions...none of which affects me emoticon that my fellow suburbian friends - is TRUE freedom.




Yeah, you live quite an independant life and it looks as if it was the absolute right decision to buy that house which is a little further away from the big city. However (just wondering and I hope it doesn't become too private here) what does it feel like when every month your stock of money kind of reduces and diminishes? I mean one day all the savings must be spent or am I wrong? You seem to be dealing with it in an easy-going way which I absolutely respect because I'm the total opposite, constantly racking my head about the most insignificant things which certainly isn't quite healthy in the long term emoticon

BTW one question: What are you all doing for a living? Mr. Peterson here is working in a HR department as a personnel specialist in a consultancy firm.

---
Walter, I have your dog.
7/29/2014, 2:48 pm Link to this post Send Email to RayPeterson   Send PM to RayPeterson
 
Kris Klopek Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Garbie

Registered: 04-2014
Location: Hinkley Hills
Posts: 360
Karma: 5 (+5/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


quote:

RayPeterson wrote:

BTW one question: What are you all doing for a living? Mr. Peterson here is working in a HR department as a personnel specialist in a consultancy firm.




Wow, I'm always impressed by jobs I don't understand emoticon I'm a writer.



Last edited by Kris Klopek, 7/29/2014, 6:28 pm


---
I've never seen that.
7/29/2014, 6:28 pm Link to this post Send Email to Kris Klopek   Send PM to Kris Klopek Blog
 
DavePeterson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 06-2014
Location: Denmark
Posts: 185
Karma: 1 (+1/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Neighbors from hell?


I work in the financial sector as a software developer. My department handles the software for stock and bond trading.

---
"A soldiers way, saves the day. Entré."
7/30/2014, 2:02 am Link to this post Send Email to DavePeterson   Send PM to DavePeterson Blog
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2  3 ... 6  7  8  9 





You are not logged in (login)
Cult Classics
© 2007 WebRing Inc.
Cult Classics
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Next >>
The Tom Hanks Ring - List

The
Tom Hanks
Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub

Random

<< Prev | Next >>

Movies
© 2007 WebRing Inc.
Movies
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Next >>