Runboard.com
You're welcome.

Burbs Banner






runboard.com       Sign up (learn about it) | Sign in (lost password?)

Page:  1  2 

 
mikeford Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 10-2013
Posts: 9
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
posticon Chemlawn Truck


Do you guys remember in the start of the movie when they show Walter having his lawn treated ? The truck or company was called Chemlawn. It was or is a real company . I used to work for them for years Back in the early 90's. They eventually changed the name to what its called now TRUGREEN -CHEMLAWN . They may have even dropped Chemlawn altogether in the past couple of years as they wanted it to sound less chemical and more of an organic name.

I used to tell my boss and co- workers have you guys ever seen the Burbs with Tom hanks?? nobody ever did recall the film lol But i used to tell them one of our Liquid fertilizer Lawn care trucks is in the movie! it was obviously a plug for them I alway wondered what they must have paid to have that in the movie .

Just thought I would share that little memory

Last edited by mikeford, 7/15/2014, 5:32 am
7/15/2014, 5:29 am Link to this post Send Email to mikeford   Send PM to mikeford Blog
 
RickyButler Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 07-2014
Posts: 26
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


Cool Mike. Never really thought about the ChemLawn truck much but cool to know they are a real company. Such a great movie...

---
" Hey Mrs. Rumsfield , No tan lines this morning"
7/15/2014, 5:36 am Link to this post Send Email to RickyButler   Send PM to RickyButler Blog
 
mikeford Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 10-2013
Posts: 9
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


quote:

RickyButler wrote:

Cool Mike. Never really thought about the ChemLawn truck much but cool to know they are a real company. Such a great movie...



lol yea sure your not the only one . I always thought it was funny his lawn was beyond perfect in the movie when his dog was laying land mines in his neighbors lawns emoticon


7/15/2014, 5:48 am Link to this post Send Email to mikeford   Send PM to mikeford Blog
 
RickyButler Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 07-2014
Posts: 26
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


I liked the movie long before I knew where it was filmed. In the beginning of the movie where it shows the globe and zooms in the location would of been somewhere between Des Moines and Cedar Rapids , Iowa. That's another thing I did like about the movie though It could of honestly been filmed in just about any of the 48 cont states. The film never really gives away any type of location. It always had the feel to me of a Midwestern suburb which appealed to me because I grew up in Missouri and currently live in Wisconsin.

I see this film has done well for itself internationally as well so I'm assuming europe of plenty of burbs similar. Wish the blu ray would get released in the US. No fair Germany gets first dibs.

---
" Hey Mrs. Rumsfield , No tan lines this morning"
7/15/2014, 6:02 am Link to this post Send Email to RickyButler   Send PM to RickyButler Blog
 
mikeford Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 10-2013
Posts: 9
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck



I should take a picture of my neighbor his house makes the one in the burbs look
nice lol

Think most neighborhoods have a version of "that house " people can relate to emoticon


7/15/2014, 6:16 am Link to this post Send Email to mikeford   Send PM to mikeford Blog
 
Kris Klopek Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Garbie

Registered: 04-2014
Location: Hinkley Hills
Posts: 360
Karma: 5 (+5/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


I had no idea that Chemlawn was a real company. I assumed they just made it up for the film. Next thing you'll be telling me there's really a company called Roselli Plumbing!

---
I've never seen that.
7/15/2014, 10:30 am Link to this post Send Email to Kris Klopek   Send PM to Kris Klopek Blog
 
mikeford Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 10-2013
Posts: 9
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


Yup they made a lot of money basically spraying watered downed fertilizer on peoples lawns but thats another movie lol.


From what I hear they are now the largest in the world and have made it to the
stock market under the name service master . They bought merry maids and terminex and a few other companies along the way maybe it was that plug from
the film that did it emoticon

Here is the link they dropped the Chemlawn it is now just Trugreen emoticon but it must have only been in the last couple years . I worked for them for 10 yrs and after i left they still had the name for years on the trucks . When I googled the name chemlawn
articles still pop up Trugreen-chemlawn From 2013 so it really was like in the last few months .

http://www.trugreen.com

Last edited by mikeford, 7/15/2014, 10:47 am
7/15/2014, 10:43 am Link to this post Send Email to mikeford   Send PM to mikeford Blog
 
RayPeterson Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Burbsmaster

Registered: 06-2007
Location: Good ol' Germany
Posts: 4418
Karma: 29 (+29/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


quote:

mikeford wrote:

Yup they made a lot of money basically spraying watered downed fertilizer on peoples lawns but thats another movie lol.


From what I hear they are now the largest in the world and have made it to the
stock market under the name service master . They bought merry maids and terminex and a few other companies along the way maybe it was that plug from
the film that did it emoticon

Here is the link they dropped the Chemlawn it is now just Trugreen emoticon but it must have only been in the last couple years . I worked for them for 10 yrs and after i left they still had the name for years on the trucks . When I googled the name chemlawn
articles still pop up Trugreen-chemlawn From 2013 so it really was like in the last few months .

http://www.trugreen.com



Cool, thanks for sharing this information. Like many others I also used to believe Chemlawn was totally made up just for the movie. Incredible to still discover new stuff about the movie even when you thought you knew it all emoticon

LOL, good remark from Kris, Roselli Plumbing was fictional, right? emoticon

Well...https://plus.google.com/105835870561898214080/about?gl=de&hl=de

---
Walter, I have your dog.
7/15/2014, 1:47 pm Link to this post Send Email to RayPeterson   Send PM to RayPeterson
 
JoOngle Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Satanic Pâté

Registered: 05-2011
Posts: 464
Karma: 6 (+6/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


Heh...I actually thought it was real (And it was, YAY thanks for confirming!).

Last time I was visiting America, I noticed that they're really big on the Suburbian life, ads for "the best Grass, better lawn than your neighbor" was on TruTV & Spike all the time emoticon

I feverishly tried to find the same hybrid grass they advertised for in America here in Sweden, but alas...to no avail. emoticon

The grass they advertised for was a special super-hybrid that grows extremely DEEP ROOTS so it can get water, even during dry seasons.

Not only that, it only grows to 10cm (3-4 inches) so you don't even have to cut your grass. AWESOME GRASS - I WANT IT FOR MY LAWN (yes. and I have a lawn to mow!)
7/15/2014, 5:30 pm Link to this post Send Email to JoOngle   Send PM to JoOngle Blog
 
mikeford Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Crow

Registered: 10-2013
Posts: 9
Karma: 0 (+0/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Chemlawn Truck


quote:

JoOngle wrote:

Heh...I actually thought it was real (And it was, YAY thanks for confirming!).

Last time I was visiting America, I noticed that they're really big on the Suburbian life, ads for "the best Grass, better lawn than your neighbor" was on TruTV & Spike all the time emoticon

I feverishly tried to find the same hybrid grass they advertised for in America here in Sweden, but alas...to no avail. emoticon

The grass they advertised for was a special super-hybrid that grows extremely DEEP ROOTS so it can get water, even during dry seasons.

Not only that, it only grows to 10cm (3-4 inches) so you don't even have to cut your grass. AWESOME GRASS - I WANT IT FOR MY LAWN (yes. and I have a lawn to mow!)



Don't worry the Hybrid grass DOES need to be watered all grass does its just a
way to market it to home owners who want to try the NEW easy way out emoticon

It all burns out and dies in the summer heat with out water then you have to reseed it again in the fall . Homeowners in the states have what they call hydro-seed put down . It is sprayed onto your yard in what looks like a green wet webbing . Its all pre germinated seed and liquid stater fertilizer so it comes up VERY fast and does not take much watering if any at all . You see it in new developments or businesses . BUT then you need to call Chemlawn once up so they can put you on a 6 step program that though does not include the much needed grub killer or Lime emoticon They bill you each month to keep it green for you lol emoticon You can have the best lawn in the neighborhood like Walter did lol

Last edited by mikeford, 7/15/2014, 6:04 pm
7/15/2014, 6:02 pm Link to this post Send Email to mikeford   Send PM to mikeford Blog
 


Add a reply

Page:  1  2 





You are not logged in (login)
Cult Classics
© 2007 WebRing Inc.
Cult Classics
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Next >>
The Tom Hanks Ring - List

The
Tom Hanks
Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub

Random

<< Prev | Next >>

Movies
© 2007 WebRing Inc.
Movies
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Next >>